> Dana wrote:
> What about all those black men in prison? Surely you don't
> think they're there because the system is fair.

I'm embarassed to say that I've had a few run-ins with the law myself,
some my own fault, and some for screwy reasons.

The biggest experience was when I got a parking ticket and went into
the country office to pay it - I got a big surprise!  I'm a habitual
speeder and once I got pulled over and thought I had talked my way out
of the ticket.  The officer gave me a warning and off I went.

Well it turned out he'd accidentally submitted it as a ticket.  As I
had moved, I never got the mailed summons and so a warrant was issued
for my arrest.  When I went to pay the parking ticket, I got the news.

The clerk told me I could see the judge that day to get it cleared up
and, since I had the day off, I did.  What she didn't tell me was that
they were going to put me in the county lock up until the hearing!

So I spent a day in jail with drug dealers, arsonists, and other
assorted weirdos.  That experience combined with some other stuff told
me this:

1.) The law is more apt to lock up a black guy than a white guy.  I
heard a lot of stories that day, and I'm convinced of this.

2.) The law won't lock up anyone who's not where they shouldn't be.
That is, if you're living an honest life, you're not going to have any
problems.

That's not to say we don't need to fight for equality in law, but I
think we talking about criminals here.  Sure, white criminals may get
off easier than black criminals - but they're all criminals!  If
you're not a criminal, you don't have much to worry about.

Further, there's been a lot stories lately about white guys who have
the same name as terror suspects being thrown in jail for weeks while
things get sorted out.  It happened twice to one guy in Chicago.

> Right now i am not talking legalities. I am talking fairness.

I think one of the problems with most educators I run into is that
they think things should be fair!  They're not and they never will be.
 If you don't learn that, and how to move on or around from an
"unfairness" you'll always be victimized by it.

Schools are now teaching this BS along with crap like not keep score
during sporting events.  These kids are going to have a tough time in
the real world.

My fourth grade teacher, Mr. Blomster, used to always say, "Kids need
to learn life isn't fair" every time a kid would say, "that's not
fair!"  He was right!