>I work for a company on the other end of the spectrum.  We have only two
>developers here, and a total of five employees.  I long to work for a
>larger company that can provide more benefits, etc.  Jim, why is working
>for a large corporation so bad?  Just wondering if I have a "grass is
>greener" complex.

Actually I've got the best job you'd ever want to hate.

I get great benefits, I also work in jeans and t-shirt, I telecommute from 2-4
days a week and I'm paid more than I actually deserve.  When I am in the office
I've got a private (high-walled even) cubicle, I get a company laptop and a
good amount of compnay-paid training.

However I'm also expected to put in 12 hour days on the spur of the moment and
work many weekends (most of which could be much better managed).  I'm
completely ignored and left completely out of any direction and sizing issues
(which are handled without developer input at the "enterprise level").

Before the merger developer's would work with business to determine how long
something would take.  Now developer's are told by business how long we have to
do something.

We went from being the only company in the insurance segment that had full
usability labs and resources in-house to doing NO usability at all on anything.
 We went from having four on-staff graphic designers to having none.  We went
from 100% local developers to more than 60% off-shore developers.  Quality of
work has taking a distant second place to meeting deadlines.

All told it's really not all bad - I could semi-happily keep my head down, do
what's expected and no more and retire in 30 years.

But some days... some days I would oh so happily quit.  ;^)

Jim Davis