So what would happen of one took this 70mpg petrol engine, and put it into a
hybrid vehicle?  Is there some incompatibility that these super engines could
not be enhanced with some electric assistance?

And why is the market not there for these engines? And how do these engines
outperform a hybrid?  You listed MPG, but what about emissions, acceleration,
size and weight of vehicle?

I considered all electric, our company provides a recharger in the parking
structure.  But I needed a full sized family vehicle.  Now, when I can swing a
second vehicle, I will seriously consider a small, lightweight vehicle that
could be gas, natural gas, fuel cell or electric depending on what is available
at the time.

But currently, I am quite happy with my red-herring of a hybrid Prius that is
getting me 50MPG - city, can fit my family of four and two extra-large moving
boxes [24"x18"x24" 6 cu/ft] and is partially zero emissions.  Something my
Corolla would never have accomplished.

But that's just me.

Ian Skinner
Web Programmer
BloodSource
www.BloodSource.org
Sacramento, CA

"C code. C code run. Run code run. Please!"
- Cynthia Dunning