Not to mention that sometimes you may not know what "Edit" will actually
open.  Notepad, reg editor, etc.  Depends on the mapping.

M!ke

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Davis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 10:01 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Do Hardcore Programmers Really Use Notepad?

It just reminds me of a little nugget of wisdom I've gained.

I still see people getting on Windows servers and launching "Edit" to
edit ini files or something else.  For a lot of them that's the only
test editor they know.

However "Edit" instantly and completely dominates the machine: launch it
and you'll see 100% available resources go to edit.

I've see problems where somebody was making a "simple" change but then
got a call that the site was down!  So they worked hard to solve that
problem which magically cleared up by itself... so they launch edit
again to continue their work and the cycle begins anew.  ;^)

Nothing to do with the conversation, of course, but it does bring back
memories.

Jim Davis