The company is certainly allowed to price things however they like.
But I personally refuse to give my business to a company that I have
to be worried about gouging me every chance they get (unless I have to
due to monopoly, but will switch at the very first opportunity).
There is a difference between competitive pricing and obvious price gouging.
I am even willing to pay a slight premium for a good feeling from the
companies I buy from.