> Matthew wrote:
> I read the book and enjoyed it, and found many of the concepts that it
> presented as disturbing from my Christian viewpoint but they did seem as if
> they could be true.

WARNING - Excessive hooey philosophy to follow

The interesting thing for me was that I took some Bible as literature
classes in college and we studied the known history of the text of the
bible (j text, y text type stuff), its "characters", and the events it
describes.

As a kid I never went to church but as a teen I became heavily
involved including doing missions, and camp counseling.  So I was
pretty strongly Christian.

After the classes however, I began to doubt much of the Church dogma. 
I sort of became a non-practicing Jew and developed my own theories of
religion which, from a high level are:

1.) Man invented religion, not God (neither Adam nor Abraham were
Jews!).  The Bible, The Koran, etc and all of the religion surrounding
them is Man's creation - take it with a grain of salt.

2.) Either God created all people (Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Blacks,
Whites, Reds, et al) or he created none of us.  If he created all of
us, then our diversity of thought, culture and appearance is a direct
reflection of God's wishes; as may be all of our religions.  Our
charge is probably to make sense of them all rather than to pick one
and kill for it.

3.) Idolatry is worshipping a part as if it's a whole which means all
religions are guilty of it.

All of that having been said, I agree with some of Mr. Brown's
suggestions and have for 15 years:

1.) If you want to study God, physics is one great way to do it.

2.) Jesus was a great man, but not divine.  That is, there's no
mechanism humanity needs to cleanse itself such  as a divine child.

3.) Much of Catholicism is a creation of politics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Discover CFTicket - The leading ColdFusion Help Desk and Trouble 
Ticket application

http://www.houseoffusion.com/banners/view.cfm?bannerid=48

Message: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=i:5:160500
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/threads.cfm/5
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=s:5
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.5
Donations & Support: http://www.houseoffusion.com/tiny.cfm/54

Reply via email to