Type I means that your body doesn't produce any insulin (although Jerry
should still be in the "honeymoon" period, where he does).  Type II
means that you don't produce enough.

Typically, type II can be controlled through diet, excercize, and oral
medications.  Type I requires insulin doses.  That said, type II can be
severe enough to require insulin doses.  Also, different people react
differently to different medications.  So it's hard to judge more or
less difficult to control.

As for cravings and "forbidden" foods, you are absolutely right.
However, there aren't any foods we can't have -- just foods we can't
have much of, and we shouldn't indulge in often.  My monthly Krispy
Kreme, for example.  :-)

--Ben