I agree with your comments about seeing more from a machine that came
out later than the PSX2.

Same thing happened with N64... it came out some time after the PSOne...
yet PSOne's are still selling, and I'll bet they are still outselling
the N64.

The harddrive is a nice to have... but then, it's available for the PSX2
as well... (see my earlier post re-the Linux kit!)

It all comes down to the games... and branding!!  Every single kid knows
what a playstation is... and because Sony were smart enough to make
their new system backwards compatible, and RETAIN the name, they still
all know what a playstation is... whereas with all new Sega's and
Nintendo's it's not been the same.... is the saturn and dreamcast really
from the same company?  Well, yes, but you wouldn't know it from just
listening to those two names... it's branding that does it, IMO!