Clearly her son believed in what he was doing.  Whether he believed
the administration's justification for the war, and based his
decisions on that justification will never be known.

Perhaps he re-listed simply because wanted to stay and help his
buddies fight, and it had nothing to do with the rationale behind the
war.  He was young, and sometimes the motives of youth are purer than
those of us old coggers who have grown cynical and have to convinced
of everything.