From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 15:37
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Ouch

There's already plenty of money for that.  Most of the assistance
programs in many urban centers go begging for homeless to participate.
I did a story about a homeless shelter in San Diego that always had beds
open while there were hundreds of homeless people in the area.  The
homeless people were quite up front about why they didn't go to that or
any other shelter -- all of the shelters expected them to get their
lives together -- get off drugs/drink, wake up at a prescribed time in
the morning, do chores, do job training. They didn't want any of that.

Temporary unemployment aside -- in this country, the people who want to
work and have shelter, do have work and have shelter.  There are endless
opportunities for people of drive and discipline.

Throwing more money at the homeless isn't going to do one whit of good.

H.