What about the French revolution?  We aren't French, we are American's.

Even British loyalists during and after the revolution weren't executed in
the streets here.  There were some cases where a person would be killed over
their politics, but mainly they were "rail roaded" or "tar and feathered".
Not killed, not jailed, and not tortured.

Westward expansion?  Ok, so we had room to grow, to spread out, and it
allowed for a lot of innovation.  How does this support your call for
welfare?

I'm confused.  If anything I think that the move westward would back the
capitalist small government argument.  Thousands of people went into the
woods with nothing but weapons and supplies, no government help, and built
cities where once their was nothing.