I perceive Deism as "We Believe in God, but not necessarily all the
trappings of organized religion"

>From Deism.org

"Deism (n): Belief in God as revealed by nature and reason combined with a
disbelief in scripture, prophets, superstition and church authority.

Deism is a free-thought philosophy, much like Agnosticism, Atheism or
Pantheism in that it rejects the dogmas and superstitions of religion in
favor of individual reason and empirical observation of the universe.  Deism
differs from these other free-thought philosophies in that it sees an order
and architecture to the universe that indicates a Creator.  The word "God"
is used to describe this creator, not to be confused with the "Biblegod."

Deism notes that we as humans are endowed with the power of reason and an
indomitable spirit.  It follows that we are intended to exercise them.
Therefore, skepticism and doubt are not "sins" but rather natural
expressions of God's gift of reason.

Because skepticism and doubt are not sins, Deists view with extreme
suspicion any efforts by other humans to claim divine authority, such as
claiming to be a "prophet" or citing "sacred scripture" said to be written
by alleged prophets (as in the Bible, the Quran, the Book of Mormon, etc.).
Placing faith in scriptures, prophets, priests, churches, "holy" figures, or
traditions is surrendering your personal reason to another source.  Usually,
this other source has far less interest in "the state of your soul" as the
accumulation of wealth and political power.

With scripture and revelation removed, all that remains to know God is
personal reason and observation of the universe.  Essentially, this is
getting to know the artist by studying the artwork.  The only "Word of God"
is the universe itself.
"

Scott A. Stewart
ColdFusion Developer