> Dana wrote:
> But to answer your real point, why do you oject to treating large
> corporations differently?
> There usually is an exemption for companies with fewer than ten or so
> employees.
> Why is it any differnt to expect a little more from the really large ones?

Here's the real difference between the sides that I can see (please
correct me if I'm mis-stating it):

(1.) You, Larry, and others feel that because a business is
successful, agents of the government should be able to force it to
help solve social problems.  Further, you think that people who
voluntarily accept positions with the company need the government's
defense.

(2.) T-Bone, Nick, and others want as little gov't as possible and
especially don't think those that have worked their ass off to get
what they have should be penalized for it.

And now ... it's time for an anecdote.  Here's why I get pissed with
the penalize-the-successful attitude:

My wife recently graduated from business school.  To send her cost us
over $120,000.  Plus the school she went to was in another state so
she had to commute by plane for classes and stay at hotels.  We paid
for all of that.

While she was going to school she worked a full time job and had a
part time contracting position.  She was getting about 4 hours of
sleep a night which is about 5 hours less than she needs.

When she finished school she got a job in that distant city forcing us
to up our commuting and living costs and putting a further stress on
our marriage.

Well, those moves are just starting to pay off for her.

If I understand your position, you're saying that she should be
penalized for her risk and hard work because it's paid off.  This is
your point for Wal-mart, right?  It started out small, grew big by
risk and hard work, and now we should penalize it because it makes a
profit.