But as humans with free will we are able to make a conscious choice to
continue with an immoral act.

Assassination of Hitler is still an immoral act, but that is OK. Just
because something is immoral doesn't mean we should never do it. This gray
area isn't in morality, it is in the ethics.

You can accepts and forgive immoral behavior, but that never makes it moral.