> Galt wrote:
> I have thought that I believe in a free market within our system and
> protectionist policies to prevent third world countries and nations like the
> PRC from effectively pricing us out of jobs.

This EXACT same debate happened in the late 1800s/early 1900s
regarding agrarian jobs.  At that time ~80% of all jobs in the US were
farm related.  With the advent of the industrial revolution there was
the same fear that assembly line technology had created a race to the
bottom.

How many of you work in factories or on farms?

So my point is this: fearing globalization is the race to the bottom.
It's a failure of imagination. Which of our fathers predicted we'd be
employed, out earning them, tapping on keys?

So I'll repeat that we have 2 choices:

1.) Align our trade policies to embrace globalization while
concurrently matching our education to new realities.

2.) Lose the war of competition.

And this isn't my opinion, it's a fact. Thousands, if not millions, of
US jobs have already been outsourced.  Top American grads have already
started heading to China and India in droves.  Top students have just
started to turn away from American universities.

We're already beginning to lose.  All you have to do to see that is
follow the money.