Once again the answer is "people are fucking idiots".

It's really that simple. If you want to whine that your side was too stupid
to vote correctly, well OK.  It's interesting that the democrats have to
organize these huge movements to try and teach their people when, where and
how to vote....while the Republicans just sit back, rail about morality, and
watch their minions crawl out of the woodwork by the millions.

Just observations from a detached, bemused observer.