Well, I disagree with the conclusion that he was "appointed", because there
was an election. It isn't Bush's fault that the case ended up in court. Gore
was the one who went to the courts. As any lawyer will tell you, be careful
what you ask for when you go to the courts, because you can never be sure
what will happen.

I do agree in some respect with the overall assessment that the outcome of
the election was inconclusive. In a race (like Florida 2000) where the
difference in the vote was within the stated margin of error of the voting
process, there is no way to tell with any certainty who won. So Florida was
a draw, as were some other states, I think. If that outcome were realized
and there were no Electoral College majority, the House of Representatives
would elect the President, as it elected Thomas Jefferson in 1801 when he
failed to gain an electoral majority against Aaron Burr. So had there been
no majority, Bush would still be President.