> RoMunn wrote:
> They were non-uniformed fighters supporting a murderous backwards theocratic
> regime in Afghanistan that housed and nutured Al Qaeda. Remember them? These
> thugs fought against coalition troops in Afghanistan who went there to
> destroy Al Qaeda's base of operations and give the Afghan people a chance to
> form a free government. These punks deserve a far worse fate than they have
> received.

Allegedly.  I feel there have been 2 great evils humans have brought to Earth:

1.) Religion. (as opposed to spirituality)
2.) Government.

Therefore it scares the crap out of me anytime I hear a blanket
statement such as yours when the government is holding anyone for any
reason.

We don't know when, where, or how any of these people came to be in
GitMo.  We only know what our government is telling us which, mostly,
seems plausible.  Is that by design or fact?  I don't know and neither
do you.

As Americans we should always favor review and checks anytime our
government is taking away anybody's liberty.

In this case I think the fair thing would be to give inmates
supervised access to, for example, the Red Cross.  At a minimum this
would allow a third party to advocate for anyone mistakenly or
unfairly deprived of liberty.