Exactly, and to paraphrase Howard's excellent post, as my girlfriend is
fond of saying, what else can you expect from a country founded by
Puritans...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Here's my take, FWIW.
<snip>

> For the record, not all creationists believe in a literal 6-days of
> creation. To believe God created the Heavens and the Earth is not to throw
> out all science and all evidence of evolution. What many people object to is
> the teaching of evolution, with no push or guidance from a creator -- a
> godless evolution, as a form of intellectual dishonesty (evolution is, after
> all, just a theory),

The majority of creationists don't even believe in the Christian God
either. Which creationist theory shall we teach?
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mreligio.html
This page shows almost 2 billion Christians worldwide, with Atheists at
1.7 billion, and the rest of the religions having about 2.3 billion
followers. Christians win but are still in the minority of humans.

I can see it now, "Class there may be some higher being out there, but
we don't know where, who, how, or what it is, but it might be there. We
may figure it out when we DIE, depending on which theory you believe in
though. Please write a 2 page report for homework." There is nothing to
teach. Either you believe or you dont. Promoting faith is what the
church does, not school teachers. I succinctly remember my science
teachers saying that some people do not believe in evolution. What else
would you have them do?

Evolution is not a theory. Many may believe that evolution in human's is
theory, but to totally ignore the huge amount of scientific data that
proves that every other form of life on earth evolves is extremely
narrow minded. I'm not even going to argue this point.

Perhaps it's this kind of narrow mindedness is why secularists want to
keep religion out of their lives. You said it yourself, Darwin wasn't so
sure that there was not a God. He was open minded. Believing in a power
that has not been observed by any human instrument, while discarding
facts that have been proven, is not open minded. There is a chance
creationists are right, but they are definately not open minded about
it.That's not to say that there is no higher being, it just shows that
there is nothing to teach. There are no facts.

You also leave out the fact that not all creationists believe that
evolution and creationism are incompatible.

jon (active-minded ;-))