One of the things that is common in public schools is to just outline the
theories of the beginning of the universe, with out spending much time on
each. This stuff it taught in science class, so it must have some science
in it somewhere.

Personally I don't know, or really care how the universe started. One
question. Where did God come from? there is really no provable answer to
any of these questions, so it is best to move on and talk about things that
are more tangible, like evolution.

Sure it us a theory, but as Ben said, no body knows how long a day was to
God, it could have been billions of years. Evolution could have been God
working through different creatures trying to find something he liked.