my father volunteered, too. my point is that everyone who wanted deferment
and had some way to qualify for deferment did it. you didn't need to be a
senator's son to get deferment. bush managed to get into the texas national
guard, big deal. the whole thing is just lame.

and yes, john kerry did what he did gambling that he would be ok and that he
would make a political career out of it. he was on a boat. he was not in the
infantry. he had every reason to believe that he would survive. no, it isn't
only dems that can be opportunists. plenty of gop opportunists as well. but
kerry is an opportunist, no two ways about it.

as for mccain, read Robert Timberg's book, The Nightingale's Song. He
describes McCain as basically a hard-drinking Irishman who got serious after
serving in the war and going through hell.