gday Michael,

One of the ways I usually achieve this is to display the image after
it's uploaded, in the IMG tag, make sure you specify the name
parameter.  Then using javascript you can simply look at ImageName.width
and ImageName.height.  Piece of cake.... unless the client's browser
doesn't have Javascript enabled, in which case you could warn them about
that, or download one of those Custom Tags!   I mainly use this code in
our admin systems where I know what browsers are going to be used.