But how does that negate the fact he is the leader of a city state?  Why do
other "world leaders" continue to meet with the Pope?  If his opinions only
effect the few you suggest, why do you care?  Obviously his opinion on this was
important enough to you for you to comment.

>He's not a world leader despite Vatican City's supposed independence. He
>doesn't command an army, he has no economic pull, he cannot effect large
>scale government policies. His opinion on world events is only of importance
>to catholics and some conservative Christians.

In his later years, but he was just as confrontational with those same groups
early on.  If he is so marginal in world events, why is he credited with the
fall of communism in Poland?

>JPII did much to reach out to other denominations and faiths, and cement
>together people of faith regardless of the religion. Benedict is undoing all
>of JPII's work.

Yeah right.  You seem to be doing the same then or you wouldn't be flapping
your lips about it so much.