Are you playing with me or do you really not get it?

The word retard was used so often in a derogatory way that it became
offensive even when used legitimately.

I'm not saying black man is a derogatory term, but if you use it in
that context often enough it will be viewed as such.

Try this, if you replace a taboo word with a substitute word and use
it to mean the same thing, eventual the substitute word will also be
taboo.