Actually, as I understand it, a federailzed system give the member states most
of the power while the central government sees to the common defense and
interstate activities with little control over other activities in the states.
Our current system is more a republican system with the central government
having more power and the member states seeing to good of the central
government.  In a repubic, there is often a blurring of the lines between the
member states as the central government gains more power (as we have seen here
in the US for tha past century).