http://ee.iusb.edu/index.php?/adp/blog/bad_neighborhood/

ADPblog
Tuesday, August 02, 2005
Bad neighborhood
Jeff Nixa looks at the code words, like bad neighborhood, that mask
and express fear about low income people of color.
I live in a bad neighborhood.

At least that's what people said about it.  "Cottage Grove Avenue?"
said a friend.  "That's a bad neighborhood." It is?  Our Mennonite
friends lived just a block from the house we were looking at in South
Bend.  They weren't bad.  Then a man at work said, "I wouldn't buy
there.  There's no resale value." We wanted a home, not a real estate
venture.

Some warnings involved my children.  "Don't you want your kids to go
to a good school?" asked one mother, appalled.  Even our real estate
agent sat me down.  "Jeff, think about your wife's safety." (As if I
could make her move somewhere she didn't want to.)

But the fear began to work.  I called our Mennonite friends.  "Are you
guys worried about your safety?" I asked.  They paused.  "You been
talking to real estate people again?" We laughed, and they invited us
over to dinner in the bad neighborhood.

As we drove up, I scanned the streets and doorways like on a recon
mission in Fallujah.  But our friends opened their door wide, welcomed
us in.  They poured wine, prayed at dinner and passed homemade bread.
After dessert they brought out crime statistics, obtained from the
South Bend police department.  Crimes were marked on a city map with
little symbols.

Sure enough.  In the blocks surrounding us a car had been broken into.
 A vacant house vandalized.  Drugs confiscated from a woman.  A man
passed out in a yard.  This was as bad asÂ…college.  Then I noticed the
same symbols dotting the rest of the city.  Robberies.  Domestic
violence.  Rapes.  That month burglaries and auto thefts were worse in
a wealthy suburb.

And that's when I realized that all those warnings really weren't
about crime, real estate values, or schools.  They were code words,
white folks use to express fear, about low income people of color.  No
one ever said a racist word out loud.  No winks or nudges.  Instead,
the racism was a perfectly concealed weapon.  It didn't break loudly
into my house, or steal my precious car.  It hid, like a virus, deep
in the anxious beliefs of my own friends and colleagues.

Sometimes the truth does set people free.  We bought the house on the
near west side.

That was seven years ago.  No one told us that the day we moved in, a
pack of joyful, scruffy kids would run over to meet our kids.  That
our house on a double lot cost less than a minivan.  About Demetrius,
raising his nieces while their mother does time. About Jose and Maria.
 Or Latisha and other single moms.  And Mike, the ponytailed Harley
biker who one day stepped out directly in front of a speeding car.
"Hey!" he yelled to the startled driver, bamming his fist on the hood.
 "There's kids around here!" We sit on front porches, hear the
neighbor girls' jazz double jumprope riffs, and buy snow cones on hot
days out of an old guy's shopping cart.

There are nuisances here: litter, some orphaned properties, barking
alley dogs.  As far as danger?  I've learned that stupid behavior is
color blind, and bullets prefer alcohol and drug deals over law
abiding citizens any day.

One day, driving out of our new neighborhood toward Grape Road I
noticed the streets got cleaner, and the lawns got greener.  But there
was no one in the yards.  The only thing I saw running house to house
was a sleepy conformity I'd never noticed before.

Returning home, I realized I needed my new neighborhood.  To balance
my life out, show me real color, and save me from things far worse
than litter or a stolen Subaru.  Like the blindness and coded racism
of privilege.

I live in a great neighborhood.  On the near west side, on Cottage
Grove Avenue, in South Bend, Indiana.

Jeff Nixa is a certified massage therapist and hospital chaplain.