Look man, I've read some of it, put some of it into action.  I understand
psyop and civil affairs.  However if you leave the country you don't have
the chance for those programs to work, if no one will leave their house
those programs won't work.

Some places, like Anbar in Iraq, like Kabul in Afghanistan the people are
ready to listen.  They miss their old lives and want the fighting to stop.
Yes, men on the ground providing services and infrastructure will help.

To get a population to that point you generally have to mess their community
up pretty bad first.  People will deal with a certain amount of sniping and
bombing, I've seen it in the Balkans and the middle east.  You have to
effect a majority of the people enough to want peace.  To do that you break
things and kill people.

When it comes right down to it I would rather we killed 90% of the middle
east than pull out at this point.  You spill American blood you pay.
Period.

I had a buddy and his family up from third special forces group for the long
weekend, 18E SF Communications Sergeant, ex-infantry.  He says the same
thing.  The middle eastern mindset isn't the same as ours.  Kindness isn't
respected, it's often seen as a sign of weakness.  I'd say that they are
more like the Japanese, if we had to draw a parallel.  Death, even by
suicide, is respected and honored.  Look at the damage and horrific acts we
had to carry out to get the Japanese to quit and roll back pacific
expansion, culminating with using our nuclear wild cards.

This isn't a time to show weakness, it's one of the reason I guess I get so
mad at people that want to pull out, even talking about it aids the enemy in
this case.  They know all they have to do is hold out longer than we do, and
kill enough of us, and we'll leave.  The answer is to make that idea
unpalatable to the enemy, and the population that supports it, willingly or
not.  If we showed steadfast resolve to stay no matter what, at any cost, I
bet you'd see a lot more of Iraq like Anbar, and a lot less like Bagdad.

If you get shot at from a Mosque level it.

Fallujah should have been bombed into rubble before a single marine or
soldier walked it's streets.  Look at what we did to Dresden.  That's why
the Germans were ready for peace, ready to rebuild.

We allow world opinion to hamstring us with our ROE, which BTW is WAY more
strict than the laws of land warfare require.

I know the soft touch has its place, I just don't think we're there yet.