Your calculus assumes that Iran will never start a war on its own, and that
diplomacy has a snowball's chance in hell of working.

NK, Pakistan, and India have the bomb, but none of their leaders stand on a
platform chanting "Death to America" on a daily basis. None of their leaders
regularly deny historical acts of genocide or threaten to wipe out
neighboring countries. The most hostile is NK, and the only reason Kim Jong
Il is still  in power is that he has the backing of the Chinese (who fear
American military power and Korean democracy on their borders) and enough
artillery to detroy Seoul and kill hundreds of thousands of people in any
conflict. Basically, he is holding the South Koreans hostage, which is what
the Iranians want to do to the Middle East and, by extension, the rest of
the world via the oil supply. You think that is an acceptable scenario? BS.