On Nov 2, 2007 4:45 PM, Gruss Gott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Sam wrote:
> > Actually it doesn't.
> > It says they used to score lower on test but that's changing.
>
> Wrong.  Here's what it said:
>
> "It is possible that the IQ-score differential is narrowing as well,
> but this has not been clearly established. "

Translation:
Every test so far shows this but it's not a proven fact yet.
This is a report from 1995, where's the updated version?

> Further it goes on to say:
>
> "At present, no one knows what causes this differential."

In their own analysis of these gains, Grissmer et al (1994) cite both
demographic factors and the effects of public policy. They found the
level of parents' education to be a particularly good predictor of
children's' school achievement; that level increased for all groups
between 1970 and 1990, but most sharply for Blacks. Family size was
another good predictor (children from smaller families tend to achieve
higher scores); here too, the largest change over time was among
Blacks. Above and beyond these demographic effects, Grissmer et al
believe that some of the gains can be attributed to the many specific
programs, geared to the education of minority children, that were
implemented during that period.

> Meaning they don't know *IF* there is a rise and even if there is they
> don't know *WHY* so there's no predicting the trend.

Actually they do, I found an update:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence#Increases_in_IQ_scores_over_time

In their 2006 study, Black Americans reduce the racial IQ gap:
Evidence from standardization samples, William T. Dickens and James R.
Flynn write that blacks have gained 5 or 6 IQ points on non-Hispanic
whites between 1972 and 2002. Gains have been fairly uniform across
the entire range of black cognitive ability.

> Ironically you're taking the exact opposite logical approach here from
> global warming.  There you're saying we need hard data to prove the
> trend or non-cycle.  Here you're saying a couple of data points are
> enough to *assume* a trend.
>
> You should pick a logic methodology and stick with it.

Apples and oranges.

Start with Mother Nature and say we can't control her.
Then say we can. I need a little more than an Algore movie to sway me.

Then start with all men being created equal.
Tell me they are and I believe it. Tell me they aren't and I'D like some proof.

I know it's antidotal but as someone has already stated, if you spend
enough time with a large diversity of people you soon realize we're
all equal. If someone says we're not I say prove it.