> In His Dark Materials the church is evil, but that doesn't mean
> they're anti-religious any more than The Orient Express is anti-human
> because there's a murderer in it.

We are each entitled to our own opinion.

Again, I wasn't doing an in depth analysis of the book.  My days of writing
term papers, book reviews, and papers for assignment are behind me.  I just
read it and had a general feeling that it was anti-religious.  Kind of like
a get a general feeling of uneasiness when I am around car salesmen,
insurance salesmen, and Radio Shack employees.

> What the books illustrate is how religion can be used for evil; which
> is no different than saying a gun, a lead pipe, or a candlestick can
> be used for evil.

Sure.  But the church, a gun, a lead pipe, or a candlestick can also but
used for good things as well.  I don't believe that was pointed out.  Maybe
you are arguing that a church is assumed to be good and the reader should
know this from the start.  I didn't get that picture though..