> I was keying off the "why you think the book is wrong" bit, and wondering
> about putting things in context.  Do you really use (you personally)
> specific examples, like books, or do you go for the more general, "ideas"?

I read these three books before the whole anti-religious thing became so big
so I was really paying that much attention to it.  It was just a general
feeling I got from reading the book.  If I were forced to give a reason, I
would probably say the portrayal of the church was very one-sided.  Every
represented of the church was evil.

> Using them for discussion I get, but are you saying you'd say "X book is
> ok, but come to me with Y book before you read it"?
>
> Or do you just cover religion and anti-religion, and see where they think
> book X falls?
>
> I guess looking at child-rearing similar to coding (how do I avoid having
> to be checked with for every single thing) is, well... sorta what I'm
> after.

It's not a religion/anti-religion thing with what books I will let my
children read.  At this stage in my children's life, I wouldn't let them
read Stephen King (the two who can read are 8 & 6).   It's more about what
they are mentally able to process, filter, and comprehend.  As it stands, my
wife or I buy all of the books for the kids, usually from a scholastic flier
sent home from school.  They aren't at the point in their lives where they
can go out to Borders and browse the controversial stuff.  By the time they
get to that age, I would hope they are capable of reading books that have
issues that challenge them intellectually.

Even at that age, I would hope that I am aware of what's going on in their
lives. I don't want them sitting in their rooms reading the Anarchist
cookboo, without me knowing why they are reading it.  I don't want to be
like Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold's parents, totally oblivious to what is
going on in their lives.

> Not really teaching good or bad so much as how value is attributed, etc..
>
> "How much does one tell their kid(s)?  How much should one 'protect' their
> > fragile little consciousnesses?"
> >
> > That would be up to the parents.  You just can't shelter them forever.
> > have seen way too many over-sheltered kids blow a fuse in college and
> end
> > up out of college before their junior years.
> >

> And that's what I want to avoid.  But can you over-under-shelter them?
>  Hmm,
> not exactly what I'm trying to say.  Probably because what I'm talking
> about
> is more general than not.  Teaching critical thinking.

I think a parent can under-shelter children though I am not a good source
for talking about being under-sheltered.  I grew up living with my
grandmother.  I had no curfew, no restrictions, not enough common sense, and
no parental guidance.  I did a lot of stuff that I shouldn't have been
allowed to do.  It worked out for me, not because kids should be
under-sheltered, but because I had some things go right for me that a lot of
people in similar situations didn't.  I wouldn't want my kids to live like
that though.

IMO, if a person does over-shelter his children, which is easy to do, some
lessons become harder to learn.  I think this is your critical thinking.
There's a fine line.  Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to define it
generally.  It's a judgment call for each child I think.  There are times
when a parent should let go of the reigns for a while so a child can learn
on their own.

> Bah.  Some of this stems from reading stuff that I woudln't have been
> alowed
> to watch on T.V..  And liking it.  And being lucky enough to have
> non-specificguidelines as to right and wrong, or whatever.  Bah.  Hard to
> express.
>
> I'd be scared if for reference, all my kid had was specifics, vs.
> generals.
>

> And I guess I wonder about all the pro-religious stuff that people don't
> eventhink about- I'm more worried about my daughter coming home and
> telling
> me she learned that only 140k people are going to heaven, than coming home
> and telling me she's wondering if there's a god, or whatever.
>

> Yeah, not real clear, I know.
>
> I appreciate the honest response, Jerry B!
>
> Is there anything in the first 2 books that you'd like to comment on as
> being anti-religious?  I mostly remember the quantum physics bits, but I'm
> curious
> as to why you think they're anti-religious.  (maybe if they were fresh in
> my
> mind I wouldn't ask).

Like I said above, I read it before the controversy.    I probably would
have paid more attention if I read it afterwards.   If, forced to give a
reason, I would probably say the portrayal of the church was very
one-sided.  IMO, every represented of the church and its people was bad.

> Do you separate religious from spiritual?  Bleh.  Feel free so answer
> some,
> or none of the questions.  Didn't mean to ask so many.

In these books, I think it was definitely anti-religious (organized religion
that is).  Not so much anti-spiritual.  They talk a lot about spiritual
things.