"You're dreaming if you think Apple is going to sell as many iphones over
Christmas as they have all year."

All year? Did I miss something, has the iphone been available all year?
Could they sell around a million units by xmas? I'm sure they will.
Since you chose to avoid the ipod issue.... how many ipds will they sell this
year with wifi?(because those will count in the iphone os stats) I think last
year they sold something like 12 million units over holidays so take away a few
for nanos and they will sell somewhere around 8-10 million units of the ipod
touch and with the iphones new prices they should sell a ton of those as well.
If the iphone was originally the price it is now how many more people would
have bought one?

"People do not tend to buy high-end, expensive phones with required data plans
for gifts."
lol, umm ok.. I guess people don't buy bmw's or lexus or diamonds either..  oh
and btw~ if you get the iphone plan you can log into your at&t account and
remove the data plan at anytime if you want to save to $20, so you aren't
"required" to have it at all.

Also you can walk right into any at&t store and buy the iphone and not have to
be locked into a 2 year deal. Most people don't know that but at most wireless
carriers have a clause where if you buy the phone at retail price that you
don't have to sign a 2 year deal, you can go month to month.

"Particularly when we already are hearing about the next version having
improved features."
Soccer mom's don't care if a new one is coming out, hell most of them wouldn't
even know, most of you think because you know or because you are a geek that
things like that or "not being able to make programs for your iphone" are
important to the reg consumer. I hate to tell ya but they are not, only to a
few geeks. If lil johnie wants an iphone 4 xmas then i bet he gets an iphone
for xmas, a few might say "oh well wait till sometime during the year and we'll
get you a 3g one then.." but most wont care. And the people who do care
probably also know that you can buy an iphone now and when the new ones come
out be able to sell their old ones for a pretty hefty price and not have to
shell out tons more for a new version.