There is a far higher premium on the price of oil becuase of the growth of
oil consumption in Asia in the last decade and the limits of refining
capcity globally. Oil didn't go anywhere near this high during the first
Gulf War, and that was during a period when Saddam invaded Kuwait and
threatened Saudi Arabia.

Even after U.S. troops draw down in Iraq and tensions with Iran calm down,
oil will continue to be very expensive relative to past prices. OPEC has
decided that the world can bear higher prices and they are going to keep the
price high. Unless someone discovers an alternative to OPEC, or the world
slows the buying of OPEC oil, the price will remain more or less where it
is.