I saw a good deal on a 2.5" drive the other day (160 Gig for $70) so I
picked one up and tonight I installed it my PS3.

Super simple process (and completely supported by Sony - this does not void
my warranty in any way):

1) Backed up the PS3 to an external USB drive (small issue here - the PS3
will only "see" FAT32 formatted drives and XP/Vista will only format disks
less than 32 Gig as FAT32.  I Googled and almost immediately found a free
command line tool that would format the disk.)

2) Pop out the old drive (plastic slide cover and one screw to remove the
cage, four screws holding the drive in the cage).

3) Pop in the new drive.

4) Format the new drive.

5) Tell the PS3 to set aside 10 Gig for another OS (this reformats the drive
so you want to do it before the restore).

6) Restore the backup.

The back and restore (of about 55 Gig) took about an hour each but my work
tool only about 10 minutes tops.

I followed the instructions to install Ubuntu 7.04 and it worked a treat.
It's not really usable for me since my old HD TV doesn't support ANY of the
higher resolutions available (I'm stuck at 480p) but it does work perfectly.

So now I have 150 Gig for the PS3 (90 Gig of free space!) and 10 Gig for
Unbuntu.

Not bad for a few bucks more than the price of a game.

Jim Davis