> -----Original Message-----
> From: Vivec [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 2:08 AM
> To: CF-Community
> Subject: Re: Yay! Ubuntu on my PS3 and 150 Gig of spaaaaaace!

> How do you play games on it now?

Same way I always did - with the controller.  ;^P

It's a little kludgy but basically you just set the PS3 (in the "system"
menu) to boot either into "PS3" or "Other OS" - if the latter you boot right
into Unbuntu.  To switch back to the PS3 OS you enter "boot-game-os" into a
shell.

I didn't lose any PS3 functionality at all - in fact I gained more than
double the disc space with the new drive even after installing Linux.  (You
can do this on a stock PS3, but you need to dedicate 10 Gig of your drive
space to the other OS - I was running out of space on my 60 Gig drive.)

> What can you do with ubuntu on it?

Anything you want I suppose.  Like I said I'm stuck at an itty-bitty
resolution but I was able to browse the web with FireFox and open some
pictures with Gimp. Full network access (although I hear that WiFi is flakey
- I'm using a hard line), full hard waresupport (USB ports, media card
slots, Bluetooth).

> Does it only work with Ubuntu?

No. The official, Sony-supported flavor is Yellow Dog.  But I also noticed
Fedora and Debian PS3 distros in my rather short search - this is my first
"linux computer", I've heard lots of good things about Unbuntu so I decided
to try it out.

> Can you run Open Office on it?

You know, I barely played at all but I think it's installed by default.  I
think you get FireFox, Gimp, OpenOffice, a mess of games and a bunch of
other utilities.

My biggest problem is the TV resolution. On a better TV you could run it in
a usable resolution.

On a more general note the OS will be limited by the RAM of the PS3 more
than anything else (256 Meg).  Just messing around Ubuntu seemed speedy
enough but I think if you were to try opening a bunch of apps at once you're
feel the pain.

Still... for the small investment in time and drive space it's a nice little
experiment... and if every other computer in the house goes belly up I can
still surf the net at 480p.  ;^)

Jim Davis