I have been working on a technology refresh at my daughter's school, and
have come into possession of a lot of 486 computers. If I did not take them,
they were headed for the dumpster.

At first, I started putting slackware on the ones I took home, and setting
them up to do some basic word processing / telnet. I thought I could donate
them to needy families through my church.

But then my bedroom became filled up with old monitors, keyboards, etc., and
my dog began eating the mice cables. So I started asking around and seeing
if anyone wanted the old 486s. I get them in increments, as new technology
is brought into the school.

One day, Sean, a friend of mine, says he will take one. Mark, the guy who
sits next to him, say he'll take one too. This was the last one I had, so,
jokingly, I say "Okay, I will give it to the highest bidder". Mark says ten
dollars, Sean says twenty, and the price war ends at $30 with Mark waiting
one week.

Now I am being contacted by friends of friends. I am up to $40 a machine,
$60 with monitor, and have already made $500 off the deal.

I am donating the money right back to the church (I get the computers from a
Catholic school) but I wonder: is it morally wrong to sell obsolete
technology, even to those who believe they need it? I am convinced the
'need' is imagined and that these machines are not going to do much for
anyone. I tell my 'clients' that, but they respond by asking if they can
pick it up themselves.