I don't understand punishing the parent.  I do understand punishing the
child.  In this case the school needs to understand the difference and
they don't.

I'd start by telling them your lawyer will be contacting them since
making threats is free (as long as you are willing to back them up).
Then get a lawyer to call or write.  You may even be able to file a
stolen property report directly with the police about it, but I would
talk to an attorney before doing anything like that.

I'd also remember that you will continue having to deal with these
people on an ongoing basis so any action should be thought out before
you commit to it.

-Cameron