Just heard back from Dad... he's discovered Skype so we talked for a bit.
He's not having a great time.  ;^)

He was in the "Hotel Grandis" in Martin for one night but apparently there
was a convention so they moved him to the ONLY place with room: a student
hostel.  The concierge at the Grandis said "it's less than a one star
rating, but it's the only one with room".

I'm pretty sure sleeping in the car gets you to at least one star so we're a
little worried for him.

He does have a "private" room: about 6'x 8' with a cot (not a bed, a cot)
and a small table.  No phone or TV and the bathroom is shared amongst 7
other rooms.  Oddly the place does have WiFi... it's not a great connection
(he dropped twice in our twenty minute conversation) but anything is better
than nothing.

He can't find a store to buy anything and was told at the desk not to drink
the water from the sink... so he's hungry, thirsty and more than a little
pissed off.

I'm sure the country itself is wonderful with a lot to do and see... but I'm
getting the impression that he's not going to be the best ambassador after
this particular trip.  ;^)

Jim Davis