> Jim wrote:
>  He does have a "private" room: about 6'x 8' with a cot (not a bed, a cot)
>  and a small table.

Yeah ... about 10 years my wife and I used to be of the
it's-just-a-place-to-sleep philosophy, but now we're the exact
opposite: we'll fly 20 hours just to stay in a nice hotel as long as
there's a bit to do around it.

(e.g., The park hyatt in Tokyo; I wouldn't even need to leave the
building.  I'd have a great vacation just staying in the building the
entire time.  It's that good.)

Usually what this means in Europe is that we'll book a week somewhere
mainstream and then drive to, say, slovakia and return within the day
or, at most, stay one night in 3 star- but no less than that.  If we
can't afford to do that then we just won't go.

One this we do to help fund this kind of taste is buy everything on
our Hilton Honors credit card - and I mean everything.

This way we were able to afford a week in Sweden this month.  Without
those points it would've been way out of our budget.