> gMoney wrote:
>  I don't see how you say that conservation delays defining the root
>  cause....isn't over consumption one of the root causes????

NO!  Economics 101: supply & demand.

Consumption is what it is.  We need energy and eventually supply and
demand will stabilize; the only question is how much pain we'll endure
during the transition.

Using hybrids to try to limit consumption (which is a pipe dream, but
anyway) will simply create all kinds of pain.  Why?  because the root
cause is a permanent drop in supply of petroleum based oil.

There is only 1 solution to that problem: figure out a way to use a
different energy supply.

Since necessity is the mother of invention, the faster oil runs out,
the faster we'll get a solution - and that solution will look like or
be bio-diesel.  Why?  Because you have to change the fewest number of
things to use it: you can use the same engines, the same distribution
networks, and the same refineries.

Electric cars require electricity.  That comes from coal right now.
Nukes are 15-20 years away if we could ever agree to start to build
them which we can't.

So the only solution is to burn something else.  Ethanol is
inefficient and derivitive from food.  bio-diesel isn't.  Winner:
bio-diesel.

Hybrids are a fad and a distraction.  "energy conservation" is like
being unemployed and running out of money 1% slower.  You still end up
broke and when you get there you have no money to invest in finding a
job.

If, however, you take the money you have now and find a new job you
will never run out of money.

Thus, conservation is crap.

So I'm doing my part to burn as much gas as possible. 14mpg baby!  W00T!