>The muppet is so taken
>in by this stuff that he forgets you need to actually tell a story...you
>need screenplay...you need good actors with good material playing off each
>other.......THAT is what makes a good movie.

Very true....you can almost tell the actors are not taking the dialog any more
seriously than we are supposed to. Heck, they even have John Hurt talking like
Yoda, how can you not laugh at the absurdity of it?! ;-)

>You see this same bullshit in the muppet's recent Star Wars prequels.

Yup, it did remind me a lot of seeing "Phantom Menace", but certainly is not
quite that much of a letdown. There's still some decent action scenes in this,
gorgeous sets and some impressive special effects for sure. The cast for the
most part does a good job (if you can get over Cate Blanchett's absurdly thick
Russian accent and get-up). There's a lot of the magic the previous movies had,
it's just that they seemed to say....okay, you bought everything in those
enough to see this one, we're not even going to bother with reality in this
one. Given the elements of the occult and/or supernatural in the past Indy
movies, I wasn't completely thrown by where this movie goes, but for me what
did it in was the incredible implausibility of what these characters go through
(and still come through unscathed of course). There's one scene near the end
where Indy doesn't even attempt to get out of the path of destruction, just
stands there and watches it, clearly at that point he knows he's completely
invincible too! ;-) Certainly all action flicks suffer from this to some
extent, but it seems like they didn't even attempt to try and keep in grounded
in reality in the slightest, and so you never really had any even momentary
concern for the protagonists.

--- Mary Jo