I got the impression he was more in agreement with the Hebrew bible while not
happy with the new Testament but believed in Christ.

>Overall, from his body of writings, Jefferson definitely favored secular
>government.  His writings on his personal feelings and religion may have
>oscillated, but in this there seems to be no doubt.

That's agreed. They were very clear about the separation as we all know the
horrors of Church and government. They incorporated the moral decision making
into the laws while keeping the organized religion out.