> tBone wrote:
> Additionally, even if you do say that the second allows "reasonable
> regulation", well then it should be federal, and the same everywhere.

So that's the type of legal theory debate I was getting at and we're
still going to have.  But since everyone is in love with SCOTUS now:

SCOTUS (5-4!) said that the Constitution does not allow for "the
absolute prohibition of handguns held and used for self-defense in the
home",  but also that the justices "are aware of the problem of
handgun violence in this country" and ruled that the Constitution
"leaves the District of Columbia a variety of tools for combating that
problem, including some measures regulating handguns."

Put another way, an outright gun ban is not constitutional but "some
measures" "regulating handguns" are.

Further, Scalia said nothing in their ruling should, "cast doubt on
long-standing prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons or
the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in
sensitive places such as schools and government buildings."

In short they didn't define "arms", they didn't define what "bearing
arms" means, and they interpreted the 2nd Amendment as open to
regulation, but they didn't define it.

So the debate will continue.  Which is what I was getting at.