Its an editorial, editorials are rather notorious for being fact free zones.

Besides I never said the Canadian system was perfect, just better than the
private system the US uses. Actually the data suggests that the US' system is
about the worst of the developed countries. The Canadian system just covers
everyone regardless of their ability to pay. people are healthier and live
longer. On a per person basis they pay less in effect.