On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Vivec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You know, I talk to Americans who are against any sort of universal health
> care.
>
> However when I ask, "How do you treat with people that can't afford
> health care.."
>
> They never have a good answer. Some are actually quite honest, and
> what they say boils down to if you didn't prepare yourself
> for your own healthcare...then you just fucking die.

Well, from a purely Darwinian standpoint, this does help make the
nation stronger.  Thankfully, we are beyond that.

Just like welfare, Social Security, and other social assistance - it
should be a safety net for those who can't handle the cost of
healthcare themselves for whatever reason.  We do have Medicare and
Medicade.  They are not perfect, but they are safety nets
none-the-less.  Saying that America is a "pay or die" society is
misinformed and false.

The real problem then is figuring out where the line is for someone
who can get it and someone who can't.  No matter where you draw the
line, there will always be a couple of cases which look very much the
same on the surface, but one is just north of the line and one is just
south of it.  But the line must exist.

-Cameron