That's much better than a few places I lived:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Park,_Chicago

In the 1960s, as a result of the project, Hyde Park's average income soared by
70%, but its Black population fell by 40%, since the substandard housing for
poorer Blacks and other minorities had been purchased, torn down, and replaced,
and these residents could not afford to remain in the newly-rehabilitated
areas. On the other hand, middle-class Blacks were offered increased
opportunities for employment and home-ownership. The project meant that Hyde
Park did not experience the same economic depression that occurred in
neighboring areas, such as Woodlawn, Washington Park, and Oakland. Also, it
ensured that it remained a very racially-diverse neighborhood