> Sgt Sorge wrote:
> I am not BS'ing. Yes Gen Franks was in charge of the initial invasion,
> but then the politicians started taking over

You seriously have to read or watch some the history.  Read Cobra II,
Fiasco, or watch No End In Sight:

"Pentagon reporter Thomas E. Ricks echoes criticism from officers who
had served under Franks who put forth that, while tactically sound, he
lacked the strategic mindset and overall intellect necessary for the
task ... While demanding and goal oriented he was also criticized for
being unwilling to countenance alternate viewpoints and for detaching
himself from day-to-day affairs when the ground war ceased and he
prepared for retirement."

The dude retired - read: quit - after the invasion.

Think about that for a second - if Franks thought or understood that
Iraq would become a quagmire (as Cheney is on youtube predicting 10
years ago!) would he really agree to take command knowing he was going
to retire?  Not unless he's horribly irresponsible.

Answer: "he lacks the strategic mindset".  He's great at invasions,
but he sucks at understanding the ramifications of his actions.
Normally that'd be ok - that's what the Pentagon is for.

Unfortunately for Mr. Franks, the pentagon was controlled by a moron
who couldn't back him up strategically.

Result: great invasion, horribly aftermath.