Personally, I think there certainly is a bit of a scam.... the price seems
to jump at a whim.

A problem at the moment is that there are few alternatives available VS oil
based products.

But, as personal behaviors change and the voice of the "marketplace" seeks
out alternatives (like say solar powered hybrids, wind power....etc... ) the
providers will show up...

Problem with most energy based industries is that they've never focused on
creating "best working" or "more efficient" products... the auto industry is
a great example. Geo Metros were super efficient in their time... since
then, the big auto makers slide down in efficiency even though the
technology was getting better.... a continued innovative approach at energy
efficient products would only have improved and lessend gas consumption. Now
they're scrambling because the demand of the market is changing.

I have a small home I'm renovating.. and although I have a new oil furnace
in it.... I'm going to try and find another way to add supplement heat.

It's my intention to eventually get away from oil. As much as possible...
and get into a more environmentaly+energy efficient lifestyle.....

My 2 cents..

Yves