China has created a very clever compromise where people have a decent
amount of personal freedom- as long as they don't criticize the
government, engage in "non-sanctioned" religious activities, or
protest in public.

People protest all the time in China, but they get locked up for
making trouble- typical authoritarian suppression tactics. The
"average" Chinese person you are talking about has learned that it is
dangerous to open your mouth and criticize the government, so they
stay quiet and instead pursue their materialistic dreams.

One of the guys I used to work with is from Beijing, and when someone
asked him what he would have done had he stayed in China instead of
coming to the US to work, he said, "Be a corrupt government official."