From: Braver, Ben [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 02 April 2002 18:27
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Why (Re: They invaded! 0_0)

Interesting -

Adams claims to be the head of the "political" wing of the IRA, and not
responsible for the "military" wing.
So that gives him a certain patina of legitimacy.

Arafat is supposedly head of the Palestinian Authority, and has not denied
(AFAIK) responsibility for the militant groups Hamas, Islamic Jihad, etc. So
when they continue violence, and he fails to stop it, he is blamed.

However, if Arafat were to "disown" the militant groups, they would kill or
replace him in a heartbeat.

-Ben